Monday, April 20, 2015

Garden Expansions

Hello!!!!   Gosh, it has been forever since I have posted.  I guess daily life takes over!!  To be totally honest too, so many of you have such amazing blogs, talents, and projects to share, I feel a bit intimidated! Since it is spring and time for new beginnings, I'm going to jump into this again and hopefully be more successful with sticking with it!

My newest project is an expansion of an existing vegetable garden.  I have had the one on the right for several years and just last year added the barrels and fence.  This year I decided to add on a bit more with construction help from my husband!  I usually "borrow" a corner of my son's sweet corn patch for pumpkins, gourds, specialty corn and anything else that looks interesting. By having a larger area of  my own, I won't have to take his.  This is after the railroad ties were put in.


Here it is all filled in with dirt and the fence moved.  My first thought is there sure is a lot of room for weeds to grow!!!  I love gardening, but weeding is not my thing!!  I had a grandfather who stood in his garden all day and as soon as a week poked through, he would dig it up.  Oh, how I wish I had inherited that gene!!!


Here are two of the specialty corn plants I am growing.  I grew pod corn two years ago, but then couldn't find seed last year.  I ordered extra early this year.  I am also trying the Red Stalker Corn. I'm not really sure what it is, but the picture looked interesting!


This is my pod corn harvest from before.  I just love the variations in color.  They range from cream to dark tan as well as a couple that had some purple.  I guess you never know exactly what the harvest will be!


It was nice and warm last weekend, and I was able to get a couple of my flower beds cleaned up and ready.  Cold wind and rain have taken over for a few days with frost expected so I guess I'll be inside  spring cleaning or stitching one of my pillow tucks.  Stitching sounds way more fun, but I'm sure it will be the cleaning!!  

Thank you for stopping by and I hope to keep you updated on the progress of my gardens.  

Blessings....
Melissa

2 comments:

  1. I've seen that corn before but did not know what it was called. I thought it was fake but now I know better.
    Pretty picture of your farm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a wonderful spot like yours to plant what I want ~ the pod corn looks interesting ~ I've never heard of it ~ do you eat it or is it just for drying and decorating???
    Hope you have fun with it!!!
    Stitchin' sounds way better than cleaning:)
    Blessings
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I truly appreciate it!! Have a wonderfully prim day!!~~Melissa