Friday, July 7, 2017

Blooms and Furry Friends

Hello! I've decided to take this rainy day and show some updates of chocolate garden. When I planted them back in mid April, they looked so tiny and I wasn't sure they would make it.  It was so cold and rainy for the longest time and they just wouldn't grow.  It finally warmed up, but became so dry.  I was always out watering.


  So finally, the weather has evened out a bit and they are beginning to look good.  I was disappointed that more of my seedlings didn't sprout, but I really don't think I would have had room for them all if they had.  My spacing could have been better when I transplanted also, but they were so little!!  

I have Nasturtiums in the front that I started with seeds in the garden.  Behind those are a couple of Sweet Williams.  I had trouble getting them to sprout and grow so I only had a few to transplant.  Next are the chocolate flowers. They are doing very well!!   Then there are the Dahlias.  They are budding right now so soon there will be flowers.  The Rudbeckia are next.  They are growing very well, but I'm thinking since they are perennials, they probably will not bloom this season.  I will definitely have to do some transplanting since they are too close together.  Next are the chocolate wild carrot that have a few buds as well.  Finally, the chocolate sunflowers are in the back.  They are just the perfect size and have the  most beautiful blooms.  


The chocolate flowers are supposed to have a chocolate scent, but I don't really notice it.  My little friend, Felix, is posing.  Someone dumped him and his brother, Oscar, off in the middle of the night.  So, now we have two more kitties!  They are sweet little guys.  



Chocolate Sunflower.


In the front is one of the Sweet William flowers.  I made the little bird bath "cat water dish" a few years ago.  Schmitt, another newbie this year was too shy to look at the camera.  He was a "town kitty" who showed up at our son's girlfriend's house. They have dogs so he came to live with us.


I have a couple of pepper plants and tomatoes mixed in as well.  Next to this garden is my Herb Garden.  I have always had a few herbs but never in one spot.  I have 3 barrels that I have Chocolate Mint, which smells as good as it sounds, regular Mint, and Lemon Balm.  The barrels keep them under control as they really spread.



My Cilantro (top left)  has now become Coriander and needs to be trimmed back.  I read to plant cilantro seeds every two weeks to keep a continuous supply.  I may try that or just put it in a pot so I can keep it out of the hot sun.  It is a cooler weather plant.


Next to my Herbs sign, I have a Pineapple Sage plant.  It smells heavenly!!


The bunny sits in a patch of Thyme.  



Here is the new crew.  The little black one is named Hannah.  Our daughter's friend found her along the road, but couldn't keep her. Apparently we run a cat sanctuary here!!

Thanks so much for stopping by.  Have a wonderful weekend. 

Blessings..
Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are a fellow cat lady too! We have 3 rescues. Your gardens look amazing. Cannot wait to see if your chocolate plant does smell like it, so please keep us posted. Janice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I truly appreciate it!! Have a wonderfully prim day!!~~Melissa